Overview of Tool
Google Sites is essentially a drag-and-drop website builder for creating both public facing web pages and intranet sites that’s deeply integrated with the rest of Google’s tools. You can easily insert documents from Google Docs, Slides, Sheets and the rest of the G Suite tools into any site, for example. The new sites now also allows multiple users to collaboratively edit a site (using the same tech the company also uses in Google Docs).
With this update, any pages you create in Sites will also automatically scale according to the screen size you are using — and its preview mode makes it easy to see what a site will look like on a phone, tablet and desktop. In order to make those sites look halfway professional, Google added six new themes to get you started. All of these themes come with customizable font and color settings.
Ways to Use in Teaching and Learning:
Here are some of the tips to help you get started using Google Sites in your Classroom :
- Create a webpage for the class where to include course materials and rich content including videos, images, slides, and audio recordings
- Use it for posting homework, assignments, and class events
- You can also use it as a discussion board where every student can have a say
- Create a page for posting announcements , class events, reading materials, classroom rules, and many more
- Use it as a wiki and let your students collaboratively work on their assignments and edit content
- Use the File Cabinet page to upload documents, PDFs and other materials to share with your students
- You can also create a private page where to share information with parents like curriculum resources
- Embed a calendar to keep track of your deadlines or Google Spreadsheet to keep track of your research
Ways Students Can Use Google Sites
Here are some ideas on how students can use Google Sites :
- They can use it to create digital portfolios to feature their work and achievements
- Create and manage to-do lists for their assignments and classroom activities
- Collaborate on group projects
- They can use it to present their findings on a particular research subject. They can include docs they have created, videos, links and many more
- Students can use it to contribute in knowledge building inside the classroom and to help with course materials
ISTE standards promote a focus of integrating technology to promote creativity and innovation, collaboration and communication, research and fluency, critical thinking, problem solving, and decision making. Google Apps for Education allows for simple and seamless integration encompassing those standards.
Earn Your Badge:
Create a Google Site either from a template or from blank page.
Decide on a site name.
Describe how you are going to organize your site and how students will use the site
Create a page that will be updated on a daily/weekly basis
Create a resource page
Make the site public and share the site url.